Wednesday, August 6, 2014

July Rollercoaster. A Month of Ups and Downs.

Very, very shortly after I discovered that baby zucchini, I discovered 3 or 4 more! I was so excited! This was FINALLY happening! I was ready to start searching Pinterest for recipes so that I could use up my HUGE harvest.

And then...the baby zucchini started to go missing. I was so sad...deflated, but SO MAD! The zucchini was broken off clean, almost like it was clipped, which, according to Google, means RABBITS. Instead of using Pinterest to find zucchini recipes, I was using it to find ideas to keep critters away. Because the garden was already established, it would be difficult to put a fence in. With rabbits, you have to bury the fence 8 - 12 inches deep. There was no way I could do that and not kill something! So, I tried this stuff:



It's a solution of 1 egg yolk, 1 Tbsp of baking powder and 1 liter of water. The stuff STINKS, but it works amazingly! Once I started using it. The baby zucchini thefts stopped! I've already harvested 6 - 8 zucchini, and there are 3 or 4 babies out there right now. So, I need to remember this for next year.

After that little setback, more things started to grow! Like cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, Chinese eggplant, strawberries and, yes, more zucchini!


 



And...some things weren't doing so well. My basil and pepper plant leaves were being eaten, and two tomato plants seemed to be dying before they ever flowered.




Over all, it has been quite a learning experience so far! Tomorrow, I've got some things planned for the garden, so I'll post again tomorrow night. In the meantime, here's a photo of my mini-harvest from July 23rd. 










No comments:

Post a Comment